In this activity, pupils created visual aids for teaching mathematics, searched for suitable teaching programs and prepared validation tests. They taught a mathematics lesson for second-graders and documented their activities.
The activity was participated by 2.B (22 pupils) and 6.A (24 pupils) in Mathematics and Computer Science lessons. In overall, the activity covered 10 lessons during which the pupils become familiar with the project, were divided into groups, studied multiplication, visited 2.B, prepared the curriculum (ideas, teaching methods, approval and production teaching aids, use of digital technology – tablet, camera, video camera, creating tests in Smart Notebook program, implementation of the curriculum and tests).
Partial activities were characterized by the following:
a) pupils examined how to effectively explain multiplication and create visual aids for better understanding of the subject matter (problem-focused activities)
b) pupils created visual aids, searched for tutorials for tablets and fast practice, created a verification test in Smart Notebook program, shot a video recording to be subsequently processed and transferred to DVD, took photographic documentation, verified knowledge on a voting device (their activities aimed to produce educational materials)
c) pupils used knowledge and skills in practice
d) groups of pupils worked independently, decided on their pace according to the set deadline, group members discussed the distribution of produced teaching aids and cooperated on the creation of questions for the validation test
e) pupils used commonly available software and hardware, i.e., digital technologies (camera, video camera, smart phone, computer, tablet). They used video cameras directly during classes, freely available software for teaching, interactive whiteboard, voting device, Smart Notebook program, tablet
f) pupils incorporated extra-curricular topics and interests in the teaching, searched for examples of multiplication in everyday life – packaging in a supermarket, various representation of products to demonstrate multiplication
g) the activity was cross-curricular – it connected knowledge from Computer Science, organization and place in the classroom
h) there was active cooperation between the pupils – in each group, a leader emerged who determined the procedure for teaching and who had a major say in the preparation of the validation test and teaching
Activities targets were set for pupils of 6.A:
- work in groups of three (to agree on the strategy of teaching, production of aids, use of commercial programs for multiplication, mapping of room for teaching)
- create a test to verify knowledge of multiplication and together choose the best one out of six – agree on selection of questions
- uniting the two classes – pupils of the first and second grade
- understanding the challenge – teaching new subject matter, documentation of the project
Specific outputs were set:
photographs, short video, test in Smart Notebook and verification of knowledge using a voting device
Evaluation of the activities was carried out:
- most of the pupils evaluated the project topic as very interesting
- all pupils learned to created tests in Smart Notebook – new knowledge
- they thought about lesson organization and admitted, after their first experience with teaching, that next time they would create more tools and better prepared the test – mainly by using shorter tasks
- they admitted that they themselves improved their knowledge of multiplication – personal benefit
- they for the first time used a voting device and immediately saw the result of their work – new experience
- they realized the difficulty of preparation and implementation – 6 hours of preparation and 2 hours of implementation
- successful project documentation
Teachers Radka Vaclavikova, Iva Schmittova
Opinions of student (Class 6.A):
The biggest problems during the task solution:
I had problems because the girls weren’t prepared, they didn’t bring anything.
I had problems because of children’s behaviour.
I didn’t have any problems.
I didn’t have any problems, but one boy had a lot of problems and he started crying, but in the end, he learnt how to do that.
Everything was very quickly for me.
2-year pupils didn’t know how to do task 6:3
Girls weren’t able to come to an agreement, so they shouted at each other
I had problems with making some test.
I had a little problem with general organisation.
You have worked with digital technics?
We used the announced equipment Ipad.
Did I learn anything new?
I made video films and took photos.
What shall I do better next time?
I would like to have better order in class – not so much talking , but more listening.
I would like to be more prepared for the aktivity.
I would like to have more cooperation.
I would like to work with other people, because in our group two girls always quarelled.
I would like everyone to work in team and quietly.
I would like to have more bonbones.
It worked out, so I wouldn’t change anything.
I would like to bring my own materiál.
I think everything was well-done.
What did I learn?
I learnt how to work with children.
I learnt how to teach children to cooperate.
I learnt how work with interactive tables.
I learnt how to teach other people. It is quite difficult.
I realised that a pupil can teach …
I learnt how to teach other children. I don’t know whether our teacher gained any new experience.
I learnt how to explain things properly
I understood that cooperation is very important.
I learnt how to calculate.
I learnt how to cooperate with elder and younger children.
Now I know that I can teach.